As featured in:
Welcome to Tailormade Africa. Your luxury Africa safaris expert. We are an independent owner run company specialising in luxury safaris and trips to this unique and wonderful continent.
At Tailormade Africa we pride ourselves on being the leaders in customer service. We are also the luxury safari experts and our safari consultants have lived, worked and still travel extensively throughout Africa, bringing you the best of each safari destination.
Clyde and Rob are two of the most knowledgeable and passionate experts of African safari with over 40 years combined experience. You will be working exclusively with the owners of Tailormade Africa from start to finish - pre, during and post travel. Our approach is simple, to be ethical and to benefit you (the guest), the hosts, local communities and the environment. There are so many African safari options it can often be overwhelming, whether you're travelling to Africa as a first-time safari goer or a seasoned safari enthusiast. If you're looking at honeymoon safaris, family safaris or luxury safaris the best thing to do to avoid being overwhelmed is to call us now for an initial obligation-free chat to get to know you.
African Luxury Safaris FAQs
In our opinion, one of the highlights of a luxury African safari is the professional service you will come to expect. Your rangers and guides will be highly trained individuals with plenty of experience working in the bush. This means that you’ll learn that much more and be sure to enjoy seeing the world around you through highly skilled eyes.
There should be an element of remoteness which allows for lower annual visitors. This then leads to a greater quality game viewing experience. We also believe you should be able to reach your travel provider 24/7 as it the case with Tailormade Africa.
Planning is key for a successful luxury safari, but this can also be quite tricky as there are so many choices. Where would you even begin and how much time do you have to invest in this step? It is for this reason we encourage everyone to get in touch with us. We can help you save a bunch of time. This will also give you a chance to see what sets us apart, it starts with how we plan everything.
After the initial planning has taken place, we will work on your perfect itinerary. We will keep working on this until you are 100% happy with it. Then it is over to making sure you have all the essentials for your trip.
This will depend on what you have in mind. Most clients have a rough idea of what they are willing to spend. We will then help guide this process. Something to always keep in mind is the amount you will need to add in terms of flights, tips and gifts (but we will also guide you with this).
If we had to put a number to it, a rough estimate would be around $5,000 per person and could exceed $13,000. A factor that greatly influences this is the the number of days you will be on safari.
There are quite a few options in our opinion. It all boils down to the traveller's personality and ideas in terms of a safari. Big 5, gorillas, a cultural experience, desert or some sea? Maybe even a combination of a few or all of these?
Some of our favourites:
- Popular, but at times could be a little crowded to our liking: the Serengeti and Ngorongoro in Tanzania, Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe, Masai Mara in Kenya, Cape Town, the Winelands and Private Reserves in South Africa.
- For sheer remoteness and wildlife numbers: Selous Game Reserve, Katavi & Ruaha in Tanzania all of which combine well with a trip to Zanzibar, Amboseli National Park & Lewa in Kenya, most of the parks in Botswana, Mana Pools & Gonarezhou National Parks in Zimbabwe
- For something a bit different and even life-changing: Volcanoes National Park & Akagera National Park in Rwanda for a gorilla and Big 5 combo experience, Samuru in Kenya, Etosha in Namibia, Makgadikgadi and the Central Kalahari for a desert safari and wildlife with a difference and finally Madagascar which has some wildlife found nowhere else on the planet.
We have some great news, every month is a good month to go on safari in Africa. Let's clarify a bit, Africa is blessed to have a spread of safari countries both north and south of the equator which allows for dry months and great wildlife viewing all year-round depending on the country.
- JANUARY - FEBUARY Tanzania - Tanzania is great this time of year. Many seek to witness the Great Migration which is a spectacle, to say the least, but this is dependent on the rainfall which is different every year.
- MARCH to APRIL South Africa - imagine visiting the world-famous Cape Town, sipping on some of the best wines in the South African winelands and getting to see the Big 5. Ethiopia - The Simien Mountains National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is one of the best places to go on a safari adventure. Namibia - The wildlife viewing opportunities in the desert-filled country of Namibia might surprise (and delight) you. Many different African animals have adapted to live in the harsh-but-beautiful Namib, a coastal desert.
- MAY - JUNE Madagascar - it's wintertime during this period, but with the island’s proximity to the equator the temperatures are more pleasant during the coolest months of the year. You’ll also see particularly lush landscapes in May and June, and these two months are considered part of the low season so there won’t be throngs of tourists. Zimbabwe - this is a bit of a transitional period with periods of wet and dry. In June, the days are warm and pleasant, while the nights a little more chilly. This time of year is the peak season for safaris. The drier weather draws animals to the country’s rivers and watering holes, which is quite a spectacle.
- JULY - AUGUST Rwanda - Rwanda is in the midst of the dry season which runs from June through to September. These two months are very popular for booking gorilla trekking adventures because of the clear skies and sunny conditions. Also, catch the Big 5 in Akagera National Park, as the game viewing is great this time of year. Botswana - The Okavango Delta, Moremi and Chobe are some of Botswana's greatest destinations for animal-spotting. So during these dryer winter months there is less vegetation and tends to see animals concentrate around waterholes and rivers, making wildlife easier to spot.
- SEPTEMBER - OCTOBER Kenya - With more that 40 national parks and reserves, Kenya remains a dream safari destination for many. You will find tourists in Kenya year-round, but September through October is a little cooler and you can catch the iconic Masai Mara migration during this time which also attracts a larger number of predators including lions.
- NOVEMBER - DECEMBER Uganda - So who doesn't want to see gorillas in their lifetime? The peak season is actually from June through to September when there is less rain and more sunshine. BUT, travelling in the shoulder season of November or even March and April is well-worth it. There are no crowds which is great for gorilla trekking and this time offers the most competitive prices, including the trekking permits. Besides it won't rain all day and there is likely only a daily downpour at some stage or some light rain, with plenty of blue sky as well.
Our short answer is as long as possible, but rarely less than 14 days including flights. This is of course dependent on budget, how much leave time you have available and where your homebase is situated, as this will take up more or less travel time.
A short trip could be around 5 to 7 nights if it's from central Europe, UK, Middle East or the Indian subcontinent. For those flying from further afield like the US, Canada, South America, Far East, Australia or New Zealand 10 to 13 nights would be great, with 14 to 18 nights being ideal.
CHOOSE FROM FOURTEENDIVERSE DESTINATIONS
When it comes to incredible scenery, Africa is right up there with the best. Boasting vast savannas, stunning beaches, dramatic mountains and amazing wildlife, this continent has it all. Africa stirs up emotions in travelers like no place on earth, leaving them yearning to come back.
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
Key to Destinations
YOUR JOURNEY STARTS HEREFIRST-TIME SAFARI GOER?
Whether you're travelling to Africa as a first-time safari goer or a seasoned safari enthusiast we are able to advise you. Our safari consultants have ample experience in designing tailormade itineraries for all types of travellers!
Rob from Tailormade made the experience a once in a lifetimeRob was incredibly detailed and knowledgeable throughout the whole experience, from the initial call to really understand what we wanted which allowed him to come back ... Read more
Amazing safari in Zimbabwe and MadagascarWe had a truly amazing safari in Zimbabwe and Madagascar organized by Tailormade Africa. We had many discussions with Clyde ahead of the holiday to make sure he knew what we were looking for ... Read more
Superb all roundI initially got in touch with Rob Morley at Tailormade Africa to arrange joining his Africa Marathons group to run the Comrades Marathon in South Africa, and mentioned that my wife and I were planning on a few days' R&R ... Read more
Clyde from Tailormade Africa put together an epic once-in-a-lifetime trip that was par-excellence!Clyde and I started discussing our African safari trip over a year ago. My husband and I were thinking about embarking on a month-long trip to Eastern and Southern Africa to celebrate my milestone birthday. I had done some research ... Read more
Top notch bespoke Safari Travel service.I can't say enough good things about Tailormade Africa. They arranged what I consider to be "once in a lifetime" travel experience for my wife and I. I really liked their process. It is very ... Read more
Tailormade Africa have outstanding knowledge about their destinations and organise the most trips.We have travelled with Tailormade Africa on several occasions to lots of different destinations both with and without the family. Every time they have guided us to locations ... Read more
Knowledgeable and personable- went above and beyond to give us the honeymoon of our dreams!!!We stumbled across Tailormade Africa by chance and we are so grateful that we did! We explored several mainstream travel agents when planning our African safari honeymoon and none of them were hitting the mark. After only one zoom call with Clyde at Tailormade Africa ... Read more
Phenomenal. Can we go again already?
Myself, and my now fiancé, have just got back from the trip of all trips embarking on a six day safari in Botswana. Just wow. There aren’t really enough words to express the incredible experience... Read more
No detail left unsorted
I’ve recently returned from a 5 week trip around Namibia and South Africa. I gave Clyde quite a project as I wanted to experience the best of both of these countries in what was really quite a short time. Clyde... Read more
Tailormade Africa provides magic - sit back and relax
We have had the pleasure of another trip organised by Clyde. There is never any reduction in the level of attention and expertise when the itinerary is put together which is followed by the supervision... Read more
Impeccable service and planning!! Rwanda & Tanzania
Rob Morley and team at Tailormade Africa were fantastic to work with from start to finish! I vetted multiple safari travel agents and knew that when I spoke to Rob I had found the right one. Rob... Read more
Top class concierge travel facilitators!
I worked with Clyde. I could not have asked for a better service. Besides making a fantastic safari itinerary, he made sure our trip was flawless in real time. He was our guardian travel angel always... Read more
They live up to their name!
Clyde at Tailormade Africa put together a wonderful custom trip to Zambia and Botswana for us six friends, three couples each with different prior experiences in the region and different priorities. And he did ... Read more
Clyde Beaty, the PA's Safari Best Friend
I did not go on Safari, but had to book it for my boss. I am a PA and I literally had to plan, what is a once in a life time trip for most, in 3 weeks, Without Clyde, I would not have managed it. Clyde literally held my hand, from ... Read more
Tailormade has an incredibly deep understanding of travel in Africa.
Tailormade has put together 3 trips to Africa for myself and my husband. Areas covered have been Rwanda, Tanzania, Botswana, Zambia, and Ethiopia. For each trip we have worked with Clyde Beaty, the founder of Tailormade, and ... Read more
Now is really the time to go to Africa. Frankly safer there than in the USAWe travelled with apprehension about Covid and the testing,... I have never travelled with such support. Tailormade Africa knew first hand all of the lodges/camps, their high points and their issues. Each time we changed venue ... Read more
Best Adventurous Honeymoon Ever!! Thank you, Rob!!I´m glad that you are reading this post because it means that there is a high chance that you will be in very good hands. I don't think that there are enough stars to describe our amazing experience with Rob from Tailormade Africa ... Read more
Amazing Experience at Zimbabwe! Clyde and His Team at Tailormade Africa Organized a Fantastic Trip!Our 3 Safaris at Zimbabwe exceeded our expectations in every level! Clyde helped us (3 couples) organize the most amazing trip ever! Logistics were right on point, especially considering covid made it much more complicated. He always ... Read more
Clyde the 'Travel Fairy' planned and executed the honeymoon of a lifetime!There aren't enough stars to accurately rate our experience working with Clyde and Tailormade. We came to Clyde from a friend's recommendation a month before our wedding wanting to leave for our honeymoon immediately ... Read more
COVID made safaris even more magical!!!This is my 5th time travelling with Tailormade Africa and Clyde struck gold again, sending me on yet another adventure of my life. Every time I go thinking I've seen it all and done it all, he just finds a way to top ... Read more
Unforgettable! Tailormade Africa made it a trip of a lifetime!If I had to make a recommendation in one sentence – Tailormade Africa is THE place to make your African dreams come true! About planning ... Extremely personalized, great expertise and advice, impressed ... Read more
Enthusiastic and experienced - The only other thing I can say to someone considering a safari with Tailormade Africa - DO IT!We thought our safari days were over after 5 trips in 8 years. Then last year we saw Clyde’s rather eloquent write-up ... Read more
Tailormade Africa designed and facilitated our dream trip!
Clyde at Tailormade Africa was a delight to work with. From our initial phone conversation, Clyde was able to capture the exact experience we were looking for. We didn’t want a group tour and nor did we wish to travel during the busy season ... Read more
Clyde's expertise and efficiency gave me the confidence to pursue my dream journey.
Although I had had some experience travelling in southern Africa this trip was much more complicated than usual - five countries, many organizations, and the potential for logistical disasters ... Read more
An experience that surpassed all of our expectations!
Rob (and TMA) organised a great holiday to South Africa a couple of years ago so when my girlfriend and I were discussing a trip to Africa, we didn't hesitate to get back in contact. After discussing budget and 'wish list', Rob came back with a couple of options and we decided to go for Uganda... Read more
Kind, attentive, knowledgeable
I think Rob did a brilliant job, before, during and after the trip! Attention to detail, but beyond the work his sence of humanity - to sincerely offer assistance ... Read more
Super efficient, planned to the finest detail, no stone left unturned
The communications from Rob Morley from the initial enquiry and subsequent booking, right up to departure date, and during the trip were incredible. Even down to the meet and greet at Jo'burg ... Read more
We decided to go to South Africa on a relatively short notice and Clyde and his team put together a top notch itinerary tailored to us specifically ... Read more
Exceeded my already high expectations!
Clyde and the whole Tailormade Africa group exceeded my already high expectations for our trip to South Africa. Communications were extremely easy, and we were able to customise our tour to exactly what we hoped to do ... Read more
Excellent service, demonstrating a high level of knowledge and experience, delivering top quality.
Our experience throughout with Tailormade Africa was excellent. We felt that Clyde understood our requirements ... Read more
Unforgettable 6-week African Honeymoon!
After some Internet research and getting ourselves very overwhelmed with 'where to start planning this trip to Africa?!' we came across Tailormade Africa. From our first email response from Rob, it was clear this was a different service to the others ... Read more
Exceptional expertise, knowledge and advice. It was clear from the beginning we were in safe hands
The safari exceeded expectations on every possible level! All three locations, the people, guides, camps, travel, expertise, food, friendliness and everything else ... Read more
What an Amazing Nine Week Trip!!
Right from the beginning, we were very impressed with their wealth of knowledge for our destinations (Madagascar, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Namibia) and how quickly they identified our needs and designed an itinerary that was within our budget.... Read more
Clyde and his team at Tailormade Africa were amazing, and provided the exact trip we wanted!
Excellent communication from start to finish. We never felt pressured during the booking process and all contact was on our terms... Read more
A holiday of a lifetime!
From the outset, Clyde has been fantastic. He tried very hard to understand our brief and came up with suggestions that we would never have considered on our own. He was flexible and willing to make changes ... Read more
We asked for a 'holiday of a lifetime' we got it and so much more.
From the very first telephone conversation with Rob Morleyat Tailormade Africa, he understood who we were and what we wanted ... Read more
An unforgettable trip to Madagascar!
This was our second time to Africa. Madagascar was different than mainland Africa and it exceeded our expectations! Rob's knowledge of Madagascar was valuable for all stages of planning ... Read more