Little Ruckomechi, along with it's larger equally beautiful sister camp Ruckomechi, is Mana Pools's luxury accommodation offering. It only has 3 guest tents, with a 4th available for group or family bookings, that gives this camp such a wonderful exclusive feel for guests staying there. They both sit on the Western edge of the main national park in their own private concession which gives them licence to operate some activities that are not possible within the national park boundaries. Little Ruckomechi is owned by Wilderness Safaris who are one of Africa's top safari operators and conservationists who work very hard at delivering high levels of service across the board. In both Little Ruckomechi and Ruckomechi Camp, this is very evident. Given the opulent nature and style of the camps, it can be said that the real "Mana Pools" experience of raw untamed wilderness that is synonymous with Mana Pools is perhaps somewhat lost but, that should not be perceived as a negative because that unadulterated, truly wild safari is not everyone's cup of tea. All in all this high-end intimate camp is wonderful and the draw of being able to go out on a boat on the Zambezi River which is only possible at these two great camps make it hard to overlook as the' choice of camp. At the very least in combination with another, more inland camp or one that sits on the shores within the National Park itself.
Little Ruckomechi at a glance :
• Location: situated approx. 4km (20-minute drive) downstream from Ruckomechi
• Setting: overlooks a floodplain, the Zambezi River and the Zambian Escarpment. On the opposite bank of the river (in Zambia) there are some small villages which are home to subsistence farmers. Depending on the wind sound does travel
• Airstrip: Mana West - transfer to camp takes approx. 20 minutes.
• Road & Boat: from Lusaka it’s a 3-4 hour road transfer to Chirundu (depending on day of the week and the number of lorries) followed by an hours boat transfer to camp (43.5 km). The last 1hr50 is most attractive as the road winds its way through the Zambian Escarpment down to the Zambezi River and the Chirundu border post
• Accommodation: 3 airy and elegant twin bedded canvas tents each with 2 x ¾ beds. The pilot/guide/tour leader tent is of the same standard and can be used as a guest tent in the event of an exclusive use booking.
• Guest areas: dining room, lounge and plunge pool
• Activities: take place within Ruckomechi’s private concession and include day and night game drives, walking, sunset river cruises, catch-and-release fishing (from the river bank or by boat) and canoeing (on a shared basis with Ruckomechi Camp). As the Ruckomechi concession is adjacent to Mana Pools it is the only camp to offer motor boat excursions. No private vehicles are available.
• Season: 01 Apr - 15 Nov
• Children: not permitted