This camp easily makes it into Tailormade Africa's ultimate top 10 safari camps in Africa in its original authentic and deliberately simple form. Goliath Safaris camp is owned and run by one of Africa's premier safari guides, Stretch Ferreira who has operated here in Mana Pools for 25 years. By any standards, that in itself is impressive. His knowledge of Mana pools is extraordinary and along with a couple of other supreme guides in this park he has the ability to transcend the normal safari experience for you. The camp is not for everyone, nor is the style of safari experience. He knows individual Elephants at a quite personal level and in turn they know him and accept him. This leads to walking safaris like no other in that it is possible and likely that you will be sat on the floor with a giant Bull Elephant within 5 meters of you. Similarly you might even crawl up to a pack of Wild dog or walk onto some Lion that also just seem to know Stretch. There are few guides that have the skill and the relationships with truly wild animals like this. The guides he has under him have equal measure of passion and love for Mana and of course can't but help being fonts of knowledge themselves. The camp has a lovely position right on the river bank overlooking the Lower Zambezi River and is a deliberately simple affair, but it gets away with it because you understand very quickly that you are there for extraordinary experiences. It is still very comfortable, the food is great and the hosting of Stretch and the team in camp is remarkable and homely. Undoubtedly Goliath Camp lives al lot on the availability of Stretch himself being at camp and taking guests out. This can't happen every day of course so expectations should be managed but at least once in your stay at Goliath there is a very good chance you would get him as your guide.
Goliath Safari Camp at a glance :
• Location: meters from the Zambezi River in the heart of Mana Pools National Park
• Airstrip: Mana Main - transfer to camp takes approx. 25 minutes
• Accommodation: six spacious East African style tents with twin beds, teak furnishings, en suite shower, flush w.c. and washstand. Offering outdoor living at its best the public areas comprise of a covered lounge and bar, an open-air dining area and riverside campfire seating
• Activities: there is no set routine as each day is planned around animal movements and what the guests want to do. Stretch usually takes guests out on an early morning walk whereas drives (night drives not possible), canoeing and fishing (from the river bank and bring your own rods) may be in the company of another guide.
• Season: 1 May-31October
• Children: under 12 accepted if camp is booked exclusively. May participate in walks if Stretch feels it's appropriate.